Embarking on a Morocco excursion tour allows you to dive into the rich history, vibrant culture, and breathtaking landscapes of this captivating North African country. With a diverse range of experiences to choose from, you can immerse yourself in the bustling city life, explore ancient architecture or even embark on unforgettable desert adventures.
During your journey, you’ll have the opportunity to visit prominent cities such as Marrakech, Casablanca, and Fes, each showcasing a unique blend of ancient traditions and modern influences.
As you venture through the maze-like streets of the old medinas, you may find yourself captivated by the sights, sounds, and aromas of local spices, crafts and mouthwatering cuisine.
For the more adventurous traveler, Morocco offers spectacular desert excursions, where you can traverse the golden dunes of the Sahara on a camel trek, or experience the thrill of off-roading in a 4WD vehicle.
These unforgettable experiences, combined with the warm hospitality of the Moroccan people, ensure that your Morocco excursion tour will create lasting memories.
10 best Morocco Excursion Tours
Here are 10 of the best Morocco Excursion Tours that showcase the diverse landscapes, vibrant cities, and rich cultural heritage of this captivating country:
- Marrakech to Ourika Valley Day Trip: This excursion takes you from Marrakech to the beautiful Ourika Valley, where you can explore traditional Berber villages, enjoy the stunning landscapes, and visit the Setti Fatma waterfalls.
- Casablanca to Rabat Day Tour: Discover Morocco’s capital city, Rabat, on this day trip from Casablanca. Explore historical landmarks such as the Hassan Tower, the Mausoleum of Mohammed V, and the Royal Palace.
- Fes Guided Medina Tour: Immerse yourself in the ancient city of Fes with a guided tour of its UNESCO-listed medina, where you’ll visit the Al Quaraouiyine University, the Dar Batha Museum, and the Royal Palace.
- Marrakech to Ouzoud Waterfalls Day Trip: Experience the breathtaking Ouzoud Waterfalls on this day trip from Marrakech. Enjoy a guided hike, swim in the natural pools, and look out for local wildlife, such as Barbary macaques.
- Sahara Desert Camel Trek: Embark on a multi-day adventure into the Sahara Desert, where you’ll ride camels, explore the golden dunes, and spend a night under the stars in a traditional Berber camp.
- Essaouira Day Trip from Marrakech: Visit the charming coastal city of Essaouira on this day trip from Marrakech. Wander through the historic medina, explore the vibrant souks, and enjoy the picturesque port.
- Atlas Mountains and Berber Villages Trek: This multi-day tour takes you through the majestic Atlas Mountains, where you’ll hike scenic trails, visit traditional Berber villages, and learn about local culture and customs.
- Meknes and Volubilis Day Trip from Fes: Delve into Morocco’s history with a visit to the imperial city of Meknes and the ancient Roman ruins of Volubilis on this day trip from Fes.
- Marrakech Hot Air Balloon Ride: Experience the beauty of the Moroccan landscape from a unique perspective with a hot air balloon ride over the countryside surrounding Marrakech.
- Chefchaouen Day Trip from Fes: Explore the picturesque blue city of Chefchaouen on this day trip from Fes. Wander the narrow streets, visit the Kasbah Museum, and soak in the laid-back atmosphere of this charming destination.
These 10 best Morocco Excursion Tours and whetheryou choose private and group tours offer a diverse range of experiences and destinations, providing an enjoyable and memorable way to discover the wonders of Morocco. Private tours might offer you more bespoke customisation and luxury, but check out all the tour itineraries to find the best one for you Morocco tour.
Popular Morocco Excursion Tours
One great way to explore Morocco is through sightseeing group tours that take you to the most iconic destinations in the country. You can embark on an unforgettable journey that covers the Imperial Cities of Morocco, such as Fez, Marrakech, Meknes, and Rabat. These cities boast rich history and fascinating culture, making your trip a truly memorable experience.
For those who crave more adventure, Morocco offers a wide range of thrilling activities to satisfy your wanderlust. A popular option for Morocco tours are desert tours, which take you on exciting 4WD off-road adventures, camel trekking, or horseback riding in the Sahara desert.
A camel ride is a must do activity in North Africa and on any of the Morocco desert tours. These unique experiences will provide you with breathtaking views of the stunning landscapes and a deeper appreciation of the country’s natural beauty.
Immerse yourself in the vibrant culture of Morocco with customized cultural tours. During your journey, you can visit bustling cities such as Casablanca and Marrakech, where you’ll get the chance to explore their rich history, art, and architecture.
With various tour options available, including those that focus on local crafts or culinary delights, you’re sure to find an excursion that caters to your specific interests.
Sahara desert tours
Sahara Desert Tours offer a truly unforgettable adventure for travellers seeking to explore the magical landscapes and unique experiences of the world’s largest hot desert. Ranging from short excursions to multi-day adventures, these tours provide a variety of options to suit different interests and timeframes. Here are some popular Sahara Desert Tour options:
- Merzouga Desert Camel Trek: This popular tour takes you to the Erg Chebbi dunes near Merzouga, where you’ll embark on a camel trek into the heart of the Sahara. Spend a night in a traditional Berber camp, enjoy the spectacular sunsets and sunrises, and stargaze under the clear desert sky.
- Zagora Desert Experience: On this 2-day tour from Marrakech, journey to the Zagora Desert via the stunning Atlas Mountains and the Draa Valley. Ride camels, explore the dunes, and spend a night in a desert camp, taking in the beauty of the Sahara.
- Erg Chigaga Adventure: Venture off the beaten path to the remote Erg Chigaga dunes on this 3-day tour. Experience the untouched beauty of the Sahara, visit nomadic communities, and discover the diverse flora and fauna of the desert.
- Desert Tour from Marrakech: This 4-day tour takes you from Fes to Marrakech, traversing the Middle and High Atlas Mountains and the Sahara Desert. Highlights include visiting the Ziz Valley, exploring the Todra Gorge, and camel trekking in the Erg Chebbi dunes.
- Sahara Desert Photography Tour: Capture the enchanting beauty of the Sahara on this specialised photography tour. Learn tips and techniques from a professional photographer, and discover the best locations and times for capturing stunning desert images. You can even do a hot air balloon flight on your day trips for some extra special photographs!
- Sahara Desert Luxury Camp Experience: For those seeking a more indulgent desert experience, this tour offers a stay in a luxury camp, complete with comfortable accommodation, gourmet meals, and a range of activities such as camel treks, quad biking, and hot air ballooning.
Regardless of the tour you choose for your Morocco excursions, your Sahara Desert adventure is sure to be a memorable experience. Witness the vast expanse of golden dunes, learn about the nomadic Berber culture, and immerse yourself in the enchanting atmosphere of the desert.
The Sahara’s otherworldly beauty and captivating allure promise to leave a lasting impression on all who visit.
Planning Your Trip
Exploring the rich culture and diverse landscapes of Morocco is an unforgettable experience. Proper planning is essential for a successful and stress-free trip.
Best Time to Visit
Morocco enjoys a warm climate throughout the year. However, the best time to visit depends on your preferences and the activities you wish to do.
Spring (April to May) and fall (September to October) are considered the most favorable times to visit, as the weather is mild with daytime temperatures averaging around 20-25°C (68-77°F). During these seasons, you can expect pleasant weather and fewer tourist crowds, making it ideal for exploring cities, historical sites, and the countryside.
Summer (June to August) can be scorching, with temperatures reaching up to 40°C (104°F). Coastal areas offer some respite from the heat, but if you’re not a fan of high temperatures, it’s best to avoid this period.
Winter (December to February) can be wet and chilly, especially in the North and the Atlas Mountains. However, it’s still a suitable time for desert exploration and visiting the South of the country.
Visa and Travel Requirements
Morocco has a relatively relaxed visa policy, allowing travelers from many countries to enter without a visa for stays of up to 90 days. Some nationals, however, do require a visa, so it’s crucial to check the requirements for your specific country.
Upon entering Morocco, ensure that your passport is valid for at least six months beyond your intended stay. Also, you should check the World Health Organization’s recommendations on vaccinations and health precautions, as well as any travel advisories issued by your government.
Morocco can cater to a wide range of budgets and preferences. Here are some factors to consider when planning your expenses:
- Accommodation: Prices range from budget hostels for around $10 per night to luxury hotels costing upwards of $200 per night. Traditional Moroccan guesthouses known as riads are a unique and relatively affordable lodging option.
- Transportation: Public transport, like buses and trains, is relatively inexpensive but may be less comfortable. Private taxis or hiring a car could offer more convenience but at a higher cost.
- Food: Street food and local eateries offer authentic Moroccan cuisine at lower prices compared to upscale restaurants. Expect to spend around $5-10 per meal at local spots and $15-40 per meal in fine dining establishments.
- Activities: The cost of excursions and activities, such as guided city tours, desert expeditions, or hot-air balloon rides, can vary significantly. Be sure to research and compare the prices and reviews of multiple tour providers.
By considering the factors above and tailoring your trip to suit your preferences and budget, you’re sure to have a memorable Moroccan adventure.
Guided Tours vs Independent Travel Moroccan Tours
Pros and Cons
When planning your Morocco excursion, you may wonder whether to choose a guided tour or explore independently. Both options have their advantages and disadvantages, and your choice ultimately depends on your preferences and travel style.
- Pros: Guided tours offer a hassle-free travel experience as they handle transportation, accommodations, and other logistics. They also provide expert guides who can share valuable knowledge, history, and culture about Morocco.
- Guided tours will include a full day private tour often include exclusive experiences and access to attractions that may be difficult to arrange independently.
- Cons: Guided tours can be more expensive and may have less flexibility in terms of itinerary and pacing. You might also be with a group of strangers, which could affect your overall experience and if your tour guide isn’t much fun, it can be hard work.
- Pros: Independent travel allows you to create your own itinerary and explore Morocco at your own pace. This option can provide more opportunities for authentic interactions with locals and the chance to customize your journey as you see fit.
- Cons: Traveling independently requires more planning, research, and self-navigation. It can be challenging to arrange accommodations, transportation, and activities.
Finding Reputable Tour Operators
If you decide that a guided tour is the right choice for your Morocco excursion, it’s crucial to find a reputable tour operator. Start by checking online reviews from previous travelers.
Another great option is to visit the websites of highly reviewed tour operators like Morocco Excursions. They offer a wide range of all-inclusive tour packages, including historical, cultural, and adventure activities such as 4WD off-road journeys, camel trekking, and horseback riding in the Sahara desert.
Finally, don’t hesitate to contact your chosen tour operator with any questions or concerns before booking, as this can provide valuable insights into their professionalism, responsiveness, and customer service.
When planning your Morocco excursion tour, it’s important to consider the variety of accommodation options available to ensure a comfortable and memorable stay.
Hotels and Riads
Your journey through Morocco can be made even more unforgettable by staying in hotels or riads. A hotel offers standard amenities and services you’re familiar with, while a riad brings you closer to the authentic Moroccan experience.
Riads are traditional Moroccan houses built around a patio garden. These offer a more intimate and unique experience, allowing you to immerse yourself in the local culture. While staying in a riad, you can expect:
- Beautiful architecture and intricate interiors
- A serene and peaceful atmosphere
- Local cuisine and warm hospitality
Both hotels and riads cater to a range of budgets and styles, ensuring that you can find the perfect accommodation for your needs.
For a truly memorable experience during your Morocco excursion, consider spending a night or two in a desert camp. Often part of desert tours, desert camps deliver an authentic and adventurous stay in the Sahara Desert. When choosing a desert camp, you can expect:
- Comfortable tents with beds and basic amenities
- Delicious meals cooked over an open fire
- Breathtaking views of the dunes and the night sky
- Activities like camel trekking and sandboarding
Desert camps offer a truly immersive experience in the heart of the Sahara, allowing you to connect with the natural beauty of Morocco, however, if going to any of the deserts (Sahara or Agafay desert, its worth doing multi-day tours on the sand dunes to really make it a dream vacation in the African continent.
Early morning sunrise over the sand dunes is simply breathtaking and one of the must see activities when doing tours in Morocco.
Local Cuisine and Dining
When visiting Morocco, experiencing the local cuisine is a must. Moroccan food is known for its aromatic spices and diverse flavors. Here, you can expect an unforgettable culinary journey.
Start by trying some of Morocco’s most traditional dishes. One of the classics is Tagine, a slow-cooked stew made with meat, vegetables, and an assortment of spices.
You may also savor the delicious flavors of Pastilla, a sweet and savory pie made from layers of thin pastry, often filled with spiced chicken or pigeon.
Don’t miss the chance to sample traditional Moroccan bread, called Khobz, which is often eaten with every meal. Additionally, indulge in the palate-pleasing taste of Couscous, served with meat and vegetables.